Sunday, April 22, 2007

Trellises

On Sunday afternoon, after the rain had stopped I managed to get the trellises up.


I used 10' long, 3/4" thin walled electrical conduit to make the frames for the trellises. I bent the conduit at approximately the 7' mark, put one on each side of the planter and connected the tops using a fitting. I attached the frames to the planters using U brackets. The bottom of the trellises rest on a 6" wide mow strip, so I don't have to worry about them sinking into the ground.


I wanted to use concrete reinforcing mesh instead of nylon for the trellises, but the only place around that had 6"X6"grids was sold out. The only other option was 4"X2". I decided to just buy the trellis material made out of nylon; I'm hopeful that it will work out okay.


The total cost per trellis was $15. I could have used 1/2 inch conduit and saved $4 per trellis, but I wanted the extra strength.