Monday, May 28, 2007

Things are beginning to look (and grow) up

I'm still battling the earwigs. On most nights I'll squish a couple dozen that are on or around the plants; I supplement the squishing with drowning them in beer traps. I don't think I'm going to continue drowning them through .. as much as I hate earwigs .. I have better uses for the beer. All in all, I'm making progress in my war against the earwigs. I just need to continue my nightly recon and fire missions and I should be able to wear them down. My next avenue of assault will be to try to drive them away using a diluted mixture of liquefied habanero peppers and garlic. I have to wait though, until there is absolutely NO wind before I spray that stuff on the plants, I would hate to get a face full of it.

I lost a couple of plants to the earwigs. The watermelon in Planter #3-B1 and the cantaloupe in B5 had to be plucked; the strawberries in the front of the planter are doing well, flowering and producing fruit (nothing ripe yet).

None of the flowers in Planter #1-F1, F2 and F3 made it. The gladiola in F4 is making it's way up. The alysseum in F5 and the radishes in F6 are doing well. We've already eaten a couple of the radishes.

The bottom leaves of the snap peas planted along the trellis in Planter #2 are turning yellow and brown, but the tops of the vines are green, flowering and producing pods. The lettuce planted throughout is also doing well.

I'm a little worried about the bell peppers in Planter #4; they haven't grown much, although one is producing a pepper. The green beans are doing well. The cucumber took a lot of abuse during the earwig invasion .. I don't think it is going to make it.

One of the artichokes has produced a fruit .. yeah baby!

The tomatoes in the topsy turvy planters are doing so-so.

Follow this link to view the most recent pictures (too many to post here on the blog). I also included a few pictures that I took earlier, for comparison. The snap peas have made great progress as has the tomato barrel and pumpkin and corn barrel.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jmaellis/ThingsAreBeginningToLookAndGrowUp