Monday, April 23, 2007

Moving things around a bit

The SFG has been doing well, but I made a few changes to the layout and add a few plants.


Planter #2, square B1 had a watermelon plant and B2 was empty (to accomodate the future size of the watermelon). Well, the watermelon didn't make it .. so it got plucked. When I planted the snap peas in planter #2 (6 plants per square in B3 & B4), I had not yet put up the trellis. Once the trellis was in place I realized that the pea plants at the front of the square would have to climb over the plants at the back of the square in order to get to the trellis. Since B1 and B2 were now open I decided to carefully replant the 6 pea plants in the front of squares B3 & B4 to the back of B1 and B2. Now all 12 pea plants are along the trellis.



The cantaloupe in planter #3, square B6 also did not make it .. plucked.



With only 3 pea plants each along the back of planter #2, squares B1, B2, B3 & B4, that left a lot of room for other veggies in those squares. I purchaesed 8 additional buttercrunch lettuce transplants. I planted 4 in square F1 (previously empty), and two each in the front of squares B1 and B2. I read the radishes are a good companion plant for both peas and lettuce so I planted three (from seed) in the middle of squares B1, B2, B3 & B4. I intend to plant something in the front of squares B3 and B4, but I'm not sure what .. something other than buttercrunch lettuce.



On Monday evening, 4/23/2007, I harvested from my SFG for the first time. I trimmed the mature leaves from the buttercruch lettuce in planter #2, square F2 and red lettuce in F3 and made a salad. There was enough lettuce for the three of us with a little left over. YUM! With the additional lettuce that I planted and the future addition of spinach in squares F4, F5 and F6, I expect that I will have greens for a salad at least every other day.



This picture shows the peas along the back of squares B1, B2, B3 & B4, the buttercrunch lettuce in F2 and the red lettuce in F3 (planter #2)




Close-up of the lettuce in planter #2, squares F2 & F3.


Watermelon in planter #2, square B6.




Dahlias in planter #3, square F6.



Radishes (from seed) in planter #1, square F6.